Handmade in Rwanda
Beautiful and decorative. The perfect housewarming gift with multi-purpose use. These hot woven placemats can be used as a protector for countertops or tables. Let it be a conversation starter around the dinner table with family members, or an eye stopper when your guests walk in. Put it as a wall art decorative piece in your favorite nook around the house or office.
- Approximately 12” 10'' 8'' D
- Made from locally sourced fibers in an ethical, fair-trade environment.
- Placemats are made from bunches of sisal wrapped around sweet grass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the sisal
- Placemats come with a hang loop on the back for wall décor which makes them ready to hang
- Made of natural fibers; do not submerge placemats in water.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe or spot clean.
- Do not use chemicals or detergents.
Sun and fading
- products should be kept out of direct sunlight for long periods of time to avoid natural fading.
- products with little or no coloring will do well in direct sunlight.
Meaning and Purpose
As the second-largest employer in the developing world, the majority of the artisan sector is mostly women. These women lack access to the global market that can help grow their businesses and sustain their families.
Made from locally sourced materials, these baskets are woven by a group of artisan women in the Ruhango district in the Rwandan southern province. Each basket takes about one week to make. Basket weaving skills are learned and are passed down from one generation of woman to woman. From grandmothers to mothers and from mother to daughter, it is a cultural tradition that symbolizes family, friendship, community, peace, and hope.
*Due to the handmade nature of the products, size and color may differ
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.