Handmade in Rwanda
Beautiful and decorative. The perfect housewarming gift with multi-purpose use. Can be used as a basket bowl for fruit storage, as a breadbasket for the kitchen, for tabletop storage, and for wall art. Let it be a conversation starter around the dinner table with family members, or an eye stopper when your guests walk in. Put it as a decorative piece in your favorite nook around the house or office.
- Approximately 30cm x 10cm
- Made from locally sourced fibers in an ethical, fair-trade environment.
- Baskets are made from bunches of sisal wrapped around sweet grass
- The women use organic dyes to dye the sisal
- Baskets come with a hang loop on the back for wall décor which makes them ready to hang
- Made of natural fibers; do not submerge the basket in the water.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe or spot clean.
- Do not use chemicals or detergents.
Sun and fading
- products should be kept out of direct sunlight for long periods of time to avoid natural fading.
- products with little or no coloring will do well in direct sunlight.
Meaning and Purpose
As the second-largest employer in the developing world, the majority of the artisan sector is mostly women. These women lack access to the global market that can help grow their businesses and sustain their families.
Made from locally sourced materials, these baskets are woven by a group of artisan women in the Ruhango district in the Rwandan southern province. Each basket takes about one week to make. Basket weaving skills is learned and is passed down from a generation of women to women. From grandmothers to mothers and from mother to daughter, it is a cultural tradition that symbolizes family, friendship, community, peace and hope.
*Due to the handmade nature of the products, size and color may differ.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.